So Jim wanted some soup with flavour that could be puréed in the blender. He just had oral surgery so is limited in what he can eat. Liquidy, not too spicy. He thought the idea of taco soup sounded great so here we are. In searching for the recipe I realized that there’s as many recipes for this as there are cooks. So this is what I’ve come up with, written down at Jim’s request.
- 1 lb ground meat (I used ground turkey)
- 2 cups broth (I used chicken bone broth)
- 1 large can of puréed stewed tomatoes
- 1 can of creamed corn (or put about a cup of frozen corn)
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce (if you want it spicier, try a cup of salsa)
- 1 tsp Tex-Mex spice (use more, I toned it down for Jim)
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- olive oil (to coat bottom of pan)
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- shredded nacho cheese
I made this in the Instant Pot but really any soup pot on the stove would do.
Pour a bit of olive oil in the pan and sauté the ground meat until brown. Remove from pan and deglaze the bottom with a couple of tablespoons of the broth. Cook the onions and garlic until the onions are soft. Add all the remaining ingredients including the cooked ground meat, except the shredded cheese. Feel free to add whatever spices you like that you would normally add to tacos; taco sauce would be great.
Cook on soup setting for 30 minutes and NPR for 15. If you’re cooking on the stove I’d bring it to a boil, bring the heat down to simmer and simmer with a lid on for about 45 minutes.
Put the shredded cheese on your bowl and enjoy! You could also put sour cream and avocado on top, that would be nice.
For Jim, I whizzed it all in the blender and he was a happy guy. Me, I added a wee bit more spice 😉