It’s that time again. I’ll leave it to you to decide how well I did with 2015 but bear in mind that what I see is sometimes symbolic. I’m still puzzling over Harper and a hole in a plane on the passenger side near the door. Was that when the downward slide really started? I think it had to do with the plane that was shot down over the Ukraine but I’m still not sure how that ties in with Harper. So you see. My picture of Rob Ford on the floor, ostensibly shot, that was more figurative but the timing was right for his cancer, sad as it was. So like I’ve said before this for me is something I’ve always done, it’s up to you to decide how right I am, understanding that sometimes I’m off by a year or more.
So what do I see for 2016? I’m actually a nervous thinking about 2016. It’s just that there are so many different ways that the current state of affairs in the world is going that I am very hesitant to even look. Some things I do see anyway without focussing are:
- Eastern Canada is going to be the new focus of migration in Canada. Alberta is out (for now, migration will return) but there is an appeal that has people returning and others coming for financial reasons but it may be more that the cost of living is somewhat cheaper and there is opportunity to start businesses without the competition you get in places like Ontario or Alberta.
- Speaking of migration, I’m seeing large groups of people leaving – kind of like the Syria lines of people trying to get to Europe, but that’s not what I’m seeing. I’m seeing people you don’t expect migrating on foot because they have to. Like the dustbowl of the 1930s, these are people walking in North America trying to get somewhere else because they just can’t stay where they are. I think this has something to do with an earthquake or similar scope of natural disaster.
- Money – 2015 was not a financially good year for Canada with the drop in oil prices, OPEC saying the hell with it and doing their own thing, the fall in the Canadian dollar – it’s big to us but in the grand scheme of things we’re really small. We’re feeling the fallout and it isn’t kind but I do see us using our resources in a better way and picking ourselves up and moving on. We’re a resource rich nation and we will find a way to sell what people in the rest of the world need. We’ll be back to where we were before 2008 around 2030 I think. Understanding of course that a lot is going to happen in the next 14 years or so that will make oil based fuels not commonplace at all anymore. We can take comfort that the rest of the world is in pretty much the same shape we are or worse off.
- Banks – there’s a big shake up coming, and I am still seeing something with credit where people get something back. It’s a legal decision but on a world scale. In the longer view our current financial systems are on the way out.
- What has started with the sharing economy (Uber, Airbnb, etc.) is continuing. People are stretched to the limit, sucked dry with huge interest rates and the cost of heat, fuel, electricity. This secondary economy is going to expand so that people can have a little more in their lives. It does come to the detriment of banks and credit companies, which quite frankly is fine by me.
- There’s something very dark about 2016 that starts off simmering around February and continues until mid-summer or so when it becomes obvious that this darkness is there. No, I don’t know what it is and I’m a little leery of paying any more attention to it. Just be careful in late July or August.
- We’re going to be seeing a lot of losses of people who mean something to us; elderly statesmen, artists, actors. It will in some ways seem like a year of loss, I’m sorry to say. I hope I’m wrong in this.
- One actress I got a sense was going to have a very good year is Olivia Munn. Not sure why I clued into her exactly but that’s what I saw – I think she gets a part that truly shows how talented she is, and I think she gets married? Anyway, good for her if this is true.
- Donald Trump – I have a bad feeling about him, I don’t think he’s safe. He definitely won’t be President, even if there’s no harm coming to him.
- I want to say something positive to balance out all the not so pleasant things I’m seeing so I will say that truth and compassion are continuing to become the way that people want the world to be. For that I am grateful, it’s been a long time coming. But harbingers of truth need also to be careful, the people who prefer to be selfish and mean aren’t giving up easily.
- To everyone: please just be careful, and lead with your heart.
I wish you all a very happy and healthy 2016.